Recognised for its various properties, tea tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) is one of the most used in traditional medicine. Tea Tree is an ingredient currently used in the production of cosmetic and dermatological products due to its skin-protective effects against infections.
Australia’s most prized tree
Tea Tree is native to Australia. Around 230 species are known for the genus Melaleuca, all from Australia, while the Tea Tree essential oil is obtained exclusively from Melaleuca alternifolia.
The name ‘Tea Tree’ is due to the expedition commanded by Captain James Cook, who in 1770 landed on Australian coasts. When the English sailors run out of tea provisions, they decided to boil the leaves of this local tree and, although the flavour was strong, its freshness satisfied them. This is the origin of such name.
Apart from this use, Australian indigenous people used to prepare remedies based on tea tree leaves to treat skin problems, allergies and other conditions thanks to its many properties.
Properties, uses and benefits of tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil is traditionally used for:
- ANTIFUNGAL: Skin protection against fungal infections like athlete’s foot or dandruff. In the case of athlete’s foot some drops of Tea Tree essential oil along with a cosmetic carrier/vegetable oil can be mixed to apply on your feet. Tea Tree essential oil additionally is a good ally against feet odour.
- ANTISEPTIC: It helps keep the skin clean and protected while preserving its natural balance. This oil helps, therefore, prevent imperfections, tone the skin, making it ideal for any skin type, especially acne-prone skins.
- SOOTHING: For irritated skin after shaving, tattooing or aesthetic treatments, such as laser or photoepilation.
- AIR PURIFIER: Tea Tree essential oil can be used in essential oil diffusers to purify the air within a room or keep insects at bay. Furthermore, it can be mixed with other essential oils like lavender, lemon or citronella essential oils.
- LICE: it helps keep under control insects, such as lice or nits. Some drops of Tea Tree essential oil can be mixed with a small amount of shampoo to leave on for a few minutes and then rinse.
- FLEAS AND TICKS: the use of essential oils for treating common conditions in domestic animals is increasingly common. You must be careful when using it with small animals due to its high degree of concentration, so it is important the supervision of a specialist.
MARNYS® Tea Tree Essential Oils
At MARNYS®, and always following our commitment to achieving top quality products, we only use 100% pure, chemotyped essential oils in our products.
MARNYS® Tea Tree and Organic Tea Tree Essential Oils are 100% Australian, pure and natural. These top-quality oils guarantee total terpenes by more than 80% and over 40% terpine-4ol, analyzed by Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC-MS).
MARNYS® Tea Tree Essential Oil is obtained by steam distillation of the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia. The resulting essential oil has got a colourless or slightly yellow-greenish appearance and a refreshing and intense odour.
The natural antiseptic and bacterial growth inhibiting properties of Tea Tree Essential Oil are due to its main active ingredients, such as terpinen-4-ol, ϒ-terpinene and α -terpinene.
MARNYS® Essential Oils Quality Assurance
MARNYS® has the best instruments, technical and professional equipment for the determination of the volatile components present in essential oils, used to determine their quality and effectiveness.
MARNYS® essential oils are analyzed using GC-MS (Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry) which allows the analysis and quantification of compounds in complex mixtures with a high degree of effectiveness. This determination is made using internationally recognized and validated methodology in European Pharmacopoeia.
100% PURE AND NATURAL
NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS
SUITABLE FOR VEGANS
ESPECIALLY FOR OILY AND COMBINATION SKIN
How to use MARNYS® Tea Tree Essential Oil
For the skin:
For the hair:
- For dry and/or oily hair, we can put the necessary amount of our usual shampoo on the palm of the hand and add a few drops of MARNYS® Tea Tree essential oil. Apply the mixture to the hair, leaving it on for a few minutes and rinsing afterwards.
- To combat dandruff, we can mix a few drops of MARNYS® Tea Tree Essential Oil in a small amount of our usual shampoo and then apply, wash and rinse normally.
- MARNYS® Tea Tree Essential Oil has a characteristic penetrating, herbaceous and camphoric taste. To use Tea Tree Essential Oil for Aromatherapy with an Essential Oils Diffuser, it should always be diluted, following the label recommendations of the diffuser.
The information presented on this website does not replace or exempt you from consulting a health professional about the use of essential oils for therapeutic purposes. The authors of this information are not responsible for its misuse.
Natural essential oils are highly concentrated and should always be diluted according to the label.